Craig Mitchelldyer's Blog

My Random Thoughts and Photos

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Google changes something....

For some reason, yesterday I noticed that google had changed something and my site dropped off the face of Google's earth....this is bad, very bad. But it was not just me. Nearly every photographer who came up in a search of "Portland Oregon Photographer" or something similar, also dropped off the face of the earth. So if you are a photographer reading this, check your page-rank and search rank in google right now and get to fixing the problem. I'll be spending the rest of the week I am sure working on Search Engine Optimization for my site. I've ben reading about a google algorithm change for quite some time and it looks as if they have implemented it. No worries. I'm ready. My site just needs a few tweaks here and there and will be right back up there soon.

3 Comments:

  • At 4/04/2006 11:37 PM, Blogger Erik Bishoff said…

    Craig,

    I used to work in search engine optimization (SEO). Google changes their search algorythm every few months or so in hopes to shake things up a bit. Companies like the one I used to work for get paid big bucks to figure out how google does its thing and once they figure it out the same sites, from the same SEO companies, start to stack up at the top of some key searches. To avoid this monopolization they shuffle the deck every once in awhile.

    I guess it makes sense?

    One thing we learned is not only do they switch things around every few months but they also switch them back from time to time.

    Early spring, when the wedding booking is hot, does seem like a very inopportune time for this to happen.

     
  • At 4/04/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger Erik Bishoff said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4/04/2006 11:46 PM, Blogger Erik Bishoff said…

    Here's a related article you might find interesting:
    Google Algorithm Changes...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home